Sunday, April 14, 2013

Virginia Creeper Trail - Damascus, VA!

Yesterday, I went with my boyfriends' family on a 18 mile bike trail.  This trail is very long, but so beautiful that it's not funny.  This blog is mostly just going to be pictures from the trip, but I think that you are going to enjoy it!

Damascus, VA is a little tourist town that was built around a train trail that was turned into a bike trail.  People that volunteered at Damascus said that the last train ran through there in the year 1977, and became a bike trail by 1978.  This bike trail is not bumpy, but keep in mind that this is a very long time to be riding on a bike seat.  I promise you will be walking weird for a while.


 This is the view from the Inn.

This is the description from how to Green Cove Train Station was in the old days.

This is the Green Cove today!  It has somethings added to it, but there is a museum and store inside of this train station and if you go in and read the descriptions, they show you how it was in the old days.  This was also the post office.
















 There was also a play ground right on the other side of the Green Cove, where we took a lot of pictures.  See all below.











Now, I will tell you that you could have a possibility of getting hurt, I hope that you do not, but it is always good to have a First Aid Kit on hand when you decide to go to the Virginia Creeper Trail.



Thanks to Ashley Everidge for taking this photo.

There are many fun things that you can do other than watch the trail and river that passes by the trail.  You can climb.  Once again, please only do this if you are a good climber and wont get hurt.




Thanks to Ashley Everidge for taking this photo.

This was our photo after his mom, Lois, and I finished doctoring him up.

This is the crew (minus two people) that went with us.

This place has a lot of cute places where you can take cute couple photos.

This is the family that pulled this amazing day together! Thank you Everidge Family!! :) 

Have I mentioned that this place has beautiful scenery??!


Another great family shot!
Please be careful! I was coming off of a bridge and ran into James' bike.  Nothing but a couple of scratches but I do want people to have fun and not get hurt.  The bridge is below that I fell after getting off of it.

This is one of the many bridges that you will go over.  These bridges are numbered.  When we started there was 45, when we were done, the number we last crossed was number 21.



We also stopped to see the Kayaker's doing their lovely hobby on this sunny bright day!

North Carolina HERE WE COME!

This trip was awesome, and I would recommend it to everyone!  We got to the beginning of the trial at 10:30a.m. and we got back to the truck and started heading down the road at 5:00p.m.  So, this is an all day event.  There is a cafe about half way down the mountain that you can go get food.  This food is so good.  They serve hamburgers, hot dogs  etc.

I hope that you have enjoyed this post, and comment below for me to try new simply fun outings.

Until next time travelers, have fun and be safe!

- Bekah Grace

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a lot of fun. The Virginia Creeper Trail looks like a great place for families to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany, Thank you for your comment. It truly was a lot of fun, took a long time, but it was so gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot about this trail, I have never had the chance to go though. Your pictures are all gorgeous & it looks like y'all had tons of fun. How far is it from this area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi, Thank you for your comment on my pictures. I loved it up there and I want to encourage as many people to go up there as they can. It is an all day event though. Damascus, VA is roughly 2 hours from Hamptonville, NC so about 3 hours from Salisbury, NC. About the same time from Salisbury to the beach.

      Delete
  3. You all look like you had a blast! I may have to go to this place when I'm want to get away and I might even go Kayaking.

    ReplyDelete